Importance of Communication Essay: Communication can be defined as sending and receiving information through face-to-face conversation or via email and phone about anything. When one is good at communicating information the receiver can perceive it very clearly and there is no scope for misunderstandings.
Being a good communicator comes in handy in every aspect of life whether one is a student, in professional as well as personal life. If one is not able to convey well it leads to miscommunication. Here in the importance of communication essays in English, we will explore different ways to write them. We have provided a long and short essay on the importance of communication.
Long Essay on Importance of Communication:
In this long importance of communication essay, we will go through the meaning, types, and importance to give a proper idea in simple words to the reader.
Communication meaning has changed drastically throughout only a couple of years since the advent of technology. Earlier communication meant having to converse about feelings, emotions, views, and ideas all while sitting before one another or in a group. With technology, one can communicate via email where one can send a message to an entire group.
The influx of smartphones has brought about an entirely different culture of communication. Smartphones have cameras that make it easier to communicate via video calls and conference calls between a group of people are also possible today. This generation of millennials is also adapting to social media platforms like Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram for business and personal communication as well.
However, with the rapid changes in technology the fact that only good communication will get the job done remains unchanged. Before understanding the ways to better communicate with others we should understand the parts and types of communication.
Parts of communication include the sender who forms the message, then the message itself which should be very clear and understandable, and the receiver whose job is to decode the message. There is a high probability that the same message can be perceived poles apart by two different people. This problem can be avoided when the sender understands the mode of communication.
Types of Communication:
There are many different types and modes of communication, like verbal, non-verbal, written, visual and formal, and informal communication.
- The most common one is Verbal Communication which involves the use of speech and language by both the sender and receiver. The message here is conveyed through the usage of words.
- In non-verbal communication, the body language of the parties involved in communication or discussion is important. It is not an overly loud way of conversing, so the signs can likely be missed or misinterpreted in this type of communication. One should be a shrewd observer to understand the subtle ways of non-verbal communication. It is in the movement of limbs, eyes, the direction of tilted shoulders, or whether one is fidgeting and flinching, etc.
- The written form of communication is a crucial one and at the same time, it is very tricky. One must very carefully construct the words in a written form as this can be documented for years to come. The use of written communication is in professional terms like circulars, memos, letters, and bank statements. Only experts get involved in drafting written statements when legalities are concerned.
- Visual communication means conveying information through graphical representation like statistical data, pie charts, and bar graphs. All of this should also be based on facts and not mere assumptions.
- The formal way of communicating is obeyed with colleagues and seniors wherein the sender needs to be controlled and measured in words as everything is for official purpose.
- Informal communication is with peers and friends groups where there is a camaraderie between such groups and it can be casual with no rules and obligations and formalities.
When one is not a good communicator the repercussions can be of varying degrees to different people. In an official environment if miscommunication occurs one might even be suspended or lose their job. So one must learn the ways and importance of good communication.
Ways to Be a Good Communicator:
- Knowing the audience one is addressing is the primary and most important step. If there is a younger audience the language must be simple and targeted specifically to them. Using difficult language and big words to show off one’s ability in such a case is futile.
- Usage of a non-verbal mode of communication can be very effective. Like making eye contact when speaking can give a better understanding of the extent of grasping information of the audience.
- Preparation before speaking is very important. One must be fully aware of the importance and objective of the message to be conveyed.
- Usage of images and drawings, if need be one must explain using pictures as they can give a different perspective to the audience you are passing on the information to.
- Be clear and precise and there is no need to add extra pieces of information when not required.
- Listening more attentively before jumping to conclusions is very important.
Need and Importance of Good Communication:
- Promotes cooperation and improves the working environment. When everyone is on the same page about what is expected, then people work in teams to complete the task.
- Enhances working relationships and fosters a strong team. When there is good communication practice there are no misunderstandings and people find it easier to trust others.
- Effective communication increases managerial efficiency. As higher management can trust their subordinates to do the work in less time than allotted.
- Decision-making becomes easier as everyone can contribute their ideas and brainstorming also can be fun and creative.
- Healthy relationships can be formed be it professional or personal. When one can communicate themselves well enough then they earn the respect of others and this only forms lasting bonds.
Short Essay on Importance of Communication:
In this short importance of communication essay, a brief account of the communication methods and importance is discussed.
Communication and the need for it to be good has become increasingly important in all fields of life. Communication is a way to pass on information about a certain belief, emotions, feelings, and ideas from one person to another or from one person to a group of people. In today’s world English is the most important language to communicate with others and socialize.
The formal way of communication is usually in an official setup and people use more formal language and controlled ways of conveying information. Whereas informal communication is the opposite, there are no set rules and only casual language in such a form of communication.
However, the importance of good communication is as important in any form of communication as it improves the work environment, there is no communication gap, all jump on the same bandwagon, one can easily find solutions when they communicate their issues and problems with clarity.
Good communication also helps create healthy boundaries in both personal and professional life so it is important to be a good communicator for a stress-free life with no misunderstandings.